Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 1: oscars worksite

Let me start off by first saying that as our first night at la quinta it was a very interesting night. I will say that although I have my own manajorie of animals in my backyard back home that I have never been awoken by so many species in one night. First it was the very confused rooster that cockadoodle dooed from 12:11 am til the morning. That alone kept me awake. Then there was the large assortment of parrots in the garden and on the porch screeching and squacking like no other. Next was papito the German shepard who is very docile and sweet but loud. Okay well I know that this trip isn't anywhere near about me so moving on. This morning was literally the morning that i have been looking forward too for months on end. So even with little sleep I hopped out of bed and went to breakfast which consisted of gallo pinto (pure deliciousness) white pineapple, amazing orange juice, other fruits and melt in your mouth buttery eggs. After thatvwe went to our daily morning disscusions slash devotionals. Cecil who is one of the major NRN people along with his wife Ginny, do the morning devos. Cecil is verrrry interesing and different in his discussions with anyone. He loves
answering a question to a question. This morning we talked about pride and how if you are humiliated by your flaws then you are very prideful and to become accepting and humble you have to let go of that pride. Hearing that is something that makes me think of serving and not being prideful so I can have a servants heart.

Now onto the rest of the day! This morning was kind of sad...me and Kelsey found out that we had to go knock down a house on the complete opposite side of town and not get to go to Hogar De Fey, the orphanage in the community Los Brasilles. Literally when we heard this news we had to hold back tears. I have waited so long for the first day back at Hogar and now it was being pushed back. We didn complain out loud of course just among us. But all I could think about was that I wouldn't get to see Milady, Estrellita, Korelia, Michelle, Ginny, Marta, Kevin or any of the children I adore with all my heart.

Again this trip is not about me so I didn't complain and I knew this was for a reason. As soon as we got to the house we were demolishing Kelsey and I saw the most adorable little girl inside the big house on the property. She was c to the u to the t to the e cuuuute. And me and Kelsey spent hours playing with her. Being the only girls in our group accept Jessica one of our leaders, basically there wasn't really anything we could do that would be safe or that we were able to. So we talked (through me as I'm the only one who can really speak Spanish) with the girl whose name was Genesis pronounced hennysi and her family which consisted of her mom, grandmother and uncle. Genesis is only three so we had so much fun singing, playing games and taking pictures. I also walked her to the corner store where we bought Bon bons and galletas or blowpops and cookies all for the American equivalent of about 7 cents. I will say that although the girls mostly lounged around playing doctor and swinging in a hammock with the cutest toddler ever we did knock down a cement bathroom with sledge hammers. That's right I knocked down cement and now can barely move my arms. For dinner we had cactus juice, rice, bread, salad, papas, and pollo (chicken). It was super delicious and I think I have gained 5 pounds.

I guess a big lesson I learned from today was being able to make the best out of an outcome you may not be too fond of. Even though I am so excited to see my little sisters and brothers at hogar tomorrow I still wish I could have seen them today. But having the chance to shower one little girl with attention and show her family care and love was great and the feeling it gives me is why I want to be a missionary forever. Today when we got back to the quinta and when all the other groups showed up we discussed amongst ourselves the day we each had experienced. Emily told me that she saw Milady and that she and her mother had asked where I was. Hearing that made my heart leap! I was ecstatic. Not only does she remember me but apparently has been asking for me to everyone she comes across. Tomorrow is a new day and I will see the kids that I love more than anything in this world!

Our group is utterly amazing. Seriously we are all so unique. Basically if you rolled us all up like sushi you'd taste sarcasm, kindness, humor, productivity, selflessness, humility, happiness, and you could savor the taste of perfection in every un perfect way. I am so glad to be here and couldn't ask for better people a better cause or a better experience than the one I am experiencing now. Well buenas noches!! A few pictures will be up soon. Te amo!

2 comments:

  1. CeCe! What a great description of your surroundings. It is amazing to get a chance to see into your heart and to learn more about the people and the work you all are doing. We are all praying for you and the rest of the team. I know that God will use you all mightily.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i like this one cece! love ya and miss u and u need to tell me everything when u get back and skip off ur plane and come to see me! this was a great idea for a blog and i like it.

    love katie

    ReplyDelete